Official Travel Time Across the United States is 6 Days 8 Hours 21 Minutes

22 August, 2011

A Little Hotter than Southern California

So everything is going great. We head out on Highway 40 east. Truck is a little slow trying to pull the trailer and having the bed full. We are getting a little over 200 miles per gas tank. That is about 80 miles less than what I usually get. So I am climbing the last summit before Needles and my truck is giving all it's got. Just when I am about a half a mile from the top, the temperature gauge gets buried in the red.............this is not in my plans.  So I back off the gas and start coasting downhill. The temperature levels off and everything is back to normal. I take the first exit of Needles to gas up, check the straps on the trailer, be sure that my ladder didn't fly off and hit a car, do the potty break, and refill my drink. I change the DVD for the kids and we are off again. I am not even off the on ramp and the temperature start climbing fast. So I get off on the second exit of Needles and pull into a McDonalds. This way we can go inside and air conditioned building while I wait for the truck to cool off. This was great. While we waited, Sue had given me gifts for the boys for every day we are on the road (a total of six gifts, I hope it doesn't take me longer than that!). So we opened the first day gifts and the boys were stoked! I call them miniature wibble wobbles. The boys did not put them down all day. Thanks Sue! So after a while, I told the kids to go play in this play house they had inside McD's while I checked on the truck......Yeah......I didn't see any antifreeze. So I put the two gallons in that I brought.......yeah......I still didn't see any antifreeze. So I told the boys to stay put while I go to the gas station and buy some more antifreeze. The first station had three gallons for $23.  *@#^! WHAT!!!   Good price for the middle of the desert I guess. I went to the second station and they had what I wanted for $16. Still $6 more than Pep Boys, but I need it. I bought four gallons and the lady said, "What?! , WOW!".  I told her I may be back for more if my truck drinks all this up. My truck ended up taking only one more gallon. So I put the other three in the back of the truck and went inside to get the boys. They were playing games that McD's had on the wall,"very cool", I thought. So at this point we loaded up and blew this grease pit. I said a little(well rather long) prayer and started her up. Good temperature, no weird sounds, got all the kids, let's go!


1 comment:

  1. Best husband EVER! I am crazy in love with you Bill Johnson!

    ReplyDelete